10 Fantastic Places to Visit on Your Campervan Holiday
Despite being densely populated in areas, Denmark is a myriad of islands and clean air, and is an extremely friendly and safe area to visit, for anyone on tour with a motorhome rental or campervan hire.
Here are ten of the best places to visit:
- Legoland. Relive your childhood at Denmark’s most popular theme park. The park in Billund features over 40 rides and attractions built entirely from Lego bricks. There are highly detailed reconstructions of structures throughout the world, as well as pirate land and castle land, and even a reconstruction of Copenhagen’s port; which includes electronic trains, cranes, vehicles and ships.
- Grenen. The inspiration behind many of Denmark’s painters due to its light, it’s also the place where you can stand on the beach and ‘straddle’ two oceans.
- Læsø. One of Denmark’s most remote islands, this is a terrific place if you love uninterrupted sand dunes. Be sure to look out for the traditional farmhouses with fascinating seaweed roofs.
- Møn. The site of some ancient Viking burial grounds, and stunning white cliffs 128 meters tall.
- The Danish Lake District. Visit the area between Silkeborg and Skanderborg, for some of the country’s most breathtaking scenery.
- Copenhagen. Denmark's capital and largest city is the site of three of the top places to visit. The city itself is a vibrant metropolis with world class attractions and ancient history.
- Little Mermaid. Copenhagen is also the location for Denmark’s most famous cultural symbol, the little mermaid. The tale written by the country’s most famous poet, Hans Christian Andersen, tells of a princess who rescues a prince from the sea, falls in love but then turns into foam! The bronze statue (or copy) sits on the waterfront.
- Tivoli Gardens. Amongst the famous gardens of Europe, these Tivoli Gardens are just as beautiful as the Italian version. Not just a garden, however, as there are also rides such as the Ferris wheel and a roller coaster, the gardens also host outdoor concerts and theatrical performances as well as being home to the famous Copenhagen Christmas markets.
- Århus. The city of Århus, in the Jutland peninsular, is Denmark's second largest city. It is a beautiful and historic city, and is home to an open-air museum depicting how the city looked back in the 1800's.
- Kronborg Castle. Overlooking the water towards Sweden, the castle at Helsingør was one of the most important historical buildings of Europe between the 16th and 18th centuries. As well as being famous for its Renaissance style, it is also famous for being the setting for Shakespeare’s ‘Hamlet’ who was the Prince of Denmark.
- Odense. Denmark’s third largest city on the island of Funen. The city became famous with visitors because of its association with Hans Christian Andersen who was born here; it is also home to another of Denmark’s well preserved Renaissance castles, Egeskov Castle.
Whether you enjoy great road trips, cities or seclusion on your motorhome rental or a campervan hire holiday you’ll be sure to find it here in Denmark